I know you might be used to glass or metal bakeware (as me too), since these are the traditional tools that our mothers and grandmothers use, but you should consider adding some silicone bakeware to your kitchen essentials.
Silicone bakeware is rising in popularity among house cooks, food bloggers and chefs. In stores you will find a great variety of silicone pans, silicone muffin cups, silicone mats and other silicone moulds, and before you get carried away by their bright colors and appealing designs, let’s see the top 9 reasons why you should choose to use silicone bakeware in your kitchen:
- They are durable and they can be reused over and over again. They don’t fade or wear off over time and they don’t get bent or break.
- They are flexible but usually made of FDA-approved high quality food grade silicone material that can support its own shape.
- They are very easy to clean. You can wash them using just warm water and soap or securely placing them in the dishwasher. They don’t stain or rust like traditional bakeware nor do they retain odors and flavors of the foods cooked inside.
- They are freezer, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and oven safe. Silicone bakeware withstand large temperature changes therefore they are ideal for baking, storing and serving food all together. Imagine that you can put your food in the refrigerator or a freezer and reheat it later and even serve it using the exact same pan that you baked it in!
- They are non stick! When baking in a silicon pan, no greasing or oiling of pans should be required. You may lightly spray them with cooking spray or grease them lightly, but this is optional. Removal from pans is super easy, just twist slightly or pull gently on the sides and your baking should come out easily and effortlessly.
- The pans heat quickly and bake smoothly and evenly with no burnt or dark edges or bottom. There is no need to alter your batter or temperature, just bake according to your recipe, as usual. Furthermore, a silicone pan cools quickly once removed from the oven (unlike metal pans).
- They are very lightweight and with an appealing look (usually bright colored) which makes them ideal for transporting and presenting your baked goods to a potluck or a dinner party.
- They are easy to store in your kitchen. No special attention is required and even if they are collapsed they are so flexible that they snap back into shape when used again.
- They can be bought at affordable prices and you can use them for other purposes as well, e.g. for frozen desserts, for freezing portions of leftovers etc.
What is your experience with Silicone Bakeware? Share in the comments below.